Thermoguard Timbercoat Door Upgrade System
Thermoguard Timbercoat Door Upgrade System is an intumescent paint system to upgrade doors to 30min Fire Resistance and 30min Fire Doors to 60min:
- Available as a convenient pack containing the required basecoat and topcoat to protect 2 doors in a white or coloured Eggshell or Gloss finish
- Thermoguard UK will issue a Fire Certificate for Authority approved projects following completion
Upgrading Doors to 30 Minutes Fire Resistance and 30 minute Fire Doors to 60 minute with Thermoguard Timbercoat Intumescent Paint
Most modern normal internal doors cannot be upgraded to achieve 30 minutes Fire Resistance. Issues include them often being hollow core, can be very thin, lightweight and are liable to warping shortly after installation. No door answering such a description can be upgraded and should be replaced with a new Fire Door where one is required. Thermoguard recommend that both sides of the door are protected and are unable to supply certification unless sufficient product is purchased and applied to both sides of the door.
While Thermoguard recommend the installation of custom built fire doors there can be reasons not to do so. Doors that Thermoguard Timbercoat is capable of upgrading are ones that can afford to lose 2mm to charring.
- Solid, joint free doors with compressed core and a reasonable thickness (6mm+), veneer faces bonded to either side of the core. These can be flush doors or pressed to create a moulded look.
- Seasoned, old or sturdy doors with 35mm+ thick frames and solid panels 10mm+ thick.
- Certain other doors that are not prone to premature collapse.
Note: Well seasoned or old, sturdy doors with panels 8mm thick can be upgraded if additional “sacrificial” ply panels 6mm thick are fitted in the panel recesses and held in place by the door’s beading.
If your doors are in a category which could be upgraded submit your assessment to your Authority, along with Thermoguards explanatory Technical Note (available to download HERE) for approval prior to purchase. Thermoguard UK will issue a Fire Certificate for Authority approved projects following completion.
Please note: Remember, intumescent paint is just one element of protection and DOES NOT create a ‘fire door’. Intumescent materials and hardware MUST be used to ensure your doors meet the required standards of your authority.
As doors vary so greatly and the great majority are unsuitable for upgrading it is neither meaningful or realistic to carry out an official NAMAS / UKAS Fire Door Fire Test. Thermoguard Timbercoat’s uniquely effective formula resulted in the UK’s only successful official UKAS / NAMAS Fire Test Laboratory Fire Resistance Test to 60 minutes on softwood with timber lost to charring restricted to 7-10mm at 60 minutes (unprotected softwood charring is approximately 50mm).
The system was also demonstrated by the Megastructures TV documentary “Building from Disaster” restricting charring to 2mm and retaining integrity and insulation throughout a 45 minute maximum severity burn (more severe than BS 476 part 22). This was while identical unprotected panels burnt in parallel were shown to burn through completely within 6 minutes.
In a recent UKAS / EGOLF Fire Test Laboratory 30 minute Fire Resistance test, Thermoguard Timbercoat applied 15% thinner than the 60 minute Fire Test or our specification below restricted loss to charring to 3mm on softwood and 2mm on MDF.
Thermoguard Technical Department assess doors as suitable based upon the customers description which features on the Fire Certificate issued, so this information should be checked before ordering.
We require that in a fire the door be capable of losing 2mm plus 2mm additional safety factor to charring without the risk of splitting or cracking of the thinnest areas (usually the panels) or other premature failure, while maintaining insulation.
Upgrading 30 minute Fire Doors to 60 minutes
Thermoguard issue a Fire Certificate for 60 minutes on 30 minute Fire Doors based upon the Test and recorded evidence referred to above.
- Apply 4 coats of Thermoguard Timbercoat @ 7m² per litre / per coat.
- Then apply 2 coats Thermoguard Flame Retardant Topcoat @ 8m² per litre / per coat
Thermoguard recommend Astroflame intumescent strips are fitted around the door edges or in door casings.
- Each 2 door pack has 1 x 5kg of Thermoguard Timbercoat and 1 x 2.5lt Thermoguard Flame Retardant Topcoat.
- This should be applied to 2 doors on BOTH sides (4 door sides in total) and it is assumed that this area will total no more than 7m².
- If your doors are unusual in size or total more than 7m² of area please contact the Technical Department.
- To aid topcoat opacity Thermoguard Timbercoat can be tinted to undercoat shades if required at no extra cost - please call if required.
A graphite based intumescent material to upgrade fire door furniture weak points.Supplied in sheet o...